Watch the video and answer the following questions.
When was Tower Bridge built?
Tower Bridge was built in [...]. (year)
Why was it built?
It was built ...
- to celebrate Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee.
- to show the power of the British Empire.
- to ease congestion (traffic) over London Bridge.
- to commemorate the victory over Napoleon.
Where is Tower Bridge located?
Tower Bridge is located to ...
- the east of London.
- the west of London.
True or False?
Everybody thought that building Tower Bridge was a good idea.
When was the competition to design the plans of the bridge held?
The competition to design the plans of the bridge was held in [...]. (year)
When did construction begin?
Construction began in [...]. (year)
How long did it take to build the bridge?
It took [...] (number) years to build the bridge.
When was the system of the bascules electrified?
The system of the bascules was electrified in [...]. (year)
How high above the Thames are the elevated walkways?
The elevated walkways are [...] (number) feet above the Thames.
Choose the correct answer.
elevated walkways were for pedestrians who needed to cross the river
when the lower part of the bridge was being raised.
- The elevated walkways were only for the people who worked on the bridge.
- The elevated walkways were only for firemen.
When were the elevated walkways closed?
The elevated walkways were closed in [...]. (year)
Why were they closed?
They were closed because ...
- their structure had become too fragile.
- the wrong kind of people were using them.
- there were too many degradations by pedestrians.
When did they reopen again?
They reopened again in [...]. (year)